Posted on Nov 22, 2020
NDP TO SEEK EMERGENCY DEBATE ON RECORD HIGH COVID-19 CASE COUNT AND LACK OF ACTION FROM KENNEY
EDMONTON - Alberta’s NDP Official Opposition will be seeking an emergency debate on Monday afternoon on the record case counts of COVID-19 seen over the weekend, the lack of information being provided to the public and the lack of action — or even public accountability — from Premier Jason Kenny.
“This is the greatest public health threat we have faced in our lives,” said Alberta NDP Leader Rachel Notley. “When faced with great challenges, Albertans are always willing to roll up their sleeves and work together, but to do so they need leadership and a roadmap. So far, the Premier has provided neither.
“We have seen Premiers across the country address the public in recent days and provide modelling and other information that makes it clear just how big of a threat COVID-19 is. In Alberta, we’ve seen nothing of the sort.”
There was a single-day record of 1,584 new cases of COVID-19 reported Sunday, up from the previous record of 1,336 cases reported Saturday. To date, 471 Albertans have died as a result of COVID-19.
“Our hospitals cannot sustain these surging case counts,” said NDP House Leader Heather Sweet. “We will be seeking an emergency debate on behalf of all Albertans to hold the Government accountable and to seek real action to slow the spread.
“The Premier’s belief that the economy and public health are at odds with one another is out of step with the approach taken by other leaders. Unrestricted growth in cases will undermine the economy. It’s up to this Government to take appropriate steps to support the economy while introducing measures to slow the spread of this virus.”
The wording of the proposed motion for an emergency debate will be finalized Monday morning following further deliberation by the NDP Caucus.