Posted on Aug 31, 2020
UCP ROLL BACK PUBLIC HEALTH ORDERS FOR SCHOOLS, STILL NO WORD ON USE OF FEDERAL FUNDS
EDMONTON -- Days before kids go back to school, the UCP government has revised public health orders after risking breaking their own previous orders due to underfunding and overcrowding in schools.
On Saturday, Dr. Deena Hinshaw signed a new health order removing the requirement for physical distancing in classrooms. The new health order comes just days after Hinsahw told the Select Special Public Health Act Review Committee that she does not make decisions, but provides advice to UCP cabinet ministers.
“It’s complete chaos and incompetence from this government,” said Hoffman. “This weekend we found out they were changing rules for physical distancing in schools because their back-to-school plan was insufficient and would violate their own public health orders.”
Hoffman called on Health Minister Tyler Shandro and Education Minister Adriana LaGrange to join Dr. Hinshaw at her regular update.
“Tyler Shandro and Adriana LaGrange have been missing in action in the middle of a pandemic. Instead of constantly hiding behind Dr. Hinshaw, it’s time for them to provide some real answers to Albertans,” said Hoffman. “We still don’t even know how they will spend the money from the federal government.
Last week, the federal government announced it would be giving $262.8 million to Alberta to improve school safety during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Ontario wasted no time in detailing how the federal money would be spent, providing a plan the same day it was announced.
“There’s no reason for this delay. We know the funds are coming, the UCP should be getting those funds out the door immediately,” said Hoffman.
“The UCP prioritized giving $4.7 billion to profitable corporations. Now that the federal government has once again bailed out Jason Kenney and the UCP, they won’t even tell Albertans how it will be spent - it’s a complete failure by the UCP government.”