The Fight To Keep Jason Kenney’s Hands Off Your Pension Is Not Over
The UCP government ignored the voices of tens of thousands of Albertans, when he took control of their pensions. Now Kenney is threatening to pull Alberta out of the Canada Pension Plan (CPP), but THE FIGHT IS NOT OVER…
Over 60,000 Albertans have signed petitions, or emailed the Finance Minister, demanding that this UCP government reverse course. But at every step of the way, the Jason Kenney government still didn’t get the message.
Bill 203, the Pension Protection Act, brought forward by NDP Labour Critic Christina Gray, would have reversed changes brought on by the contentious Bill 22, and would have required:
- Joint-governance for all major public sector pension plans
- Allowing public sector pension plans to leave AIMCo
- Consultation before any changes to the governance or administration of public sector pension plans
But Bill 203 didn’t pass in the legislature, because the UCP wouldn’t listen when it comes to your pension rights.
Bill 208, the AIMCo Amendment Act, brought forward by NDP Finance Critic Shannon Philips would have required:
- A referendum before pulling out of the CPP
- Removal of the power of the Finance Minister to issue investment directives to AIMCo
- Giving a seat on the AIMCo board for each public sector pension plan
But Bill 208 didn’t pass in the legislature, because the UCP wouldn’t listen when it comes to your pension rights.
The fight over your pension rights IS NOT OVER.
But we still need your help!
We need you to add your voice to the tens of thousands of Albertans that are against the UCP government’s takeover of your pension and your CPP.
- Sign our petition on this page and share the link with family and friends
- Share your opposition to Jason Kenney meddling with your pension on social media networks
- Join us as we create a plan with Albertans to protect your pensions as part of our Alberta’s Future project